Yesterday I picked up 2 packages of bees (3 pounds of bees and a marked queen per package) and installed them in the two hives that starved over the winter.Â We had guests to observe the installation, and their toddler was utterly fascinated.Â When a package is installed, the bees pour like honey, and if you haven’t seen that before it is quite a sight.
Today I gave the 2 new hives a full feeder of syrup, and put a super on the hive that made it through the cold - she was already honey-bound.Â We had to give her something to keep her busy!
The girls are busy, and it was time to give them a super to fill with honey. Â We had already put a super on our oldest hive, although on inspection she hasn’t done much in it yet. Â She’s been busy refilling the upper brood chamber with honey. Â Judging from the color of the bees I’d say she has some Russian in her - much darker than the pure Italian bees in the new hives.
(edit: Â Just noticed earlier post that she was honey-bound. Â This time she definitely was not. Â Now I am concerned - will have to inspect lower chamber)
The new hives were reaching capacity, so we got the supers on just in time. Â Since the weather didn’t cooperate and the packages arrived so late, we were worried that the new hives would be lagging far behind. Â But clearly they’ve been working hard!